Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I was able to start the engine an hour ago and then tried to

Customer Question

I was able to start the engine an hour ago and then tried to start again and it would not start or any of the panel light up. I went and bought a new battery, and it still will not crank I checked the breaker and it did not flip after I installed the new battery What do you think is the issue?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please respond here and by email, rather than by phone. Is there actually someone working on our question on July 4th?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today.What engine do you have on the boat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Grady White 180 Sportman has a 150 hp yamaha 4 stroke. Today was first time I was to put it in the water. Got everything set and then fired up the engine and it started within 3 secs after being 8 months dormant. I turned it off and drove it to the landing to place the boat in the water. As we backed into the water I turned the key to crank the engine and got no response from any electical readouts on he console, nor did the engine even begin to turn over. We pulled the boat back in and decided to plaqce a new battery in the boat. After that there was still no activity at all. Breaker is not tripped and the only button that will work is the horn. What do you think?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
How many batteries are in the boat?How many wires are on each battery post on the battery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are two batteries in the boat, only replaced one (main one) then primary one. there are three black wires to the neg, pole and one red wire to pos. pole
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turned the battery switch to battery position #1 , then all then 2 and no action at all. This boat has run great with one battery before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was no corrosion present on wires.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Can you post a pic of the batteries so that I may see it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure, hold on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The #1 battery purchased today is a West Marine 685 All-purpose, the #2 battery (older) is exide
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you get the picture attachments
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** a red wire from the switch that looks like a connector is on it right by the Neg post of the battery. What is that?The engine battery lad appears to go under the battery, but I never see it come out from under the battery, do you know where that goes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm going out to look
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the red wire you are referring to goes beside the battery then up to the breaker
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Alright, do you have trim still on the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure what you mean
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
does the engine trim still work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Locate the fuse box, part 34 in the diagram. Check all of the fuses inside it. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/2006%20and%20Later/LF150TXR/ELECTRICAL%202/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have to go can I get back with someone tomorrow and they still have all the information we have been over. How do I get in touch with someone tomorrow?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
When you reply, you will get back with me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. Goodbye
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Talk to you tomorrow.