Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

200 EFI seems to not be getting fuel!Fuel filter water

Customer Question

200 EFI seems to not be getting fuel!
Fuel filter water filter has fuel in it! No smoke when trying to turn it over! To great 4 weeks agi
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. Would you please post the serial number of the engine?Do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes fuel pump is running our 4 stroke is inline with it and it runs! The VIN number is *****? Boat is in a slip in the water!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just did all the intakes in November had all plugs ect redone then also
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Do you know what year the engine is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah 1999
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Make sure that the dead man switch is not tripped, that would kill spark to the engine. the you will need a pressure gauge to test the fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do not believe we have a "dead man switch" where would it be located?Wouldn't you tell a difference in the pressure when under idle? Not just not start?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
The cranking pressure is going to be the same as the running fuel pressure. the switch is the lanyard kill switch that will stop the engine in case you leave the helm while it is running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No switch it's an 1985 sea OX
it's trying to crank over just fine! fuel is going into the pumps! But it seems like it's not leaving the pump! Is that where the pressure regulator is found? Because the 4 stroke trolling motor works just fine and it's on the same tank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No switch it's an 1985 sea OX
it's trying to crank over just fine! fuel is going into the pumps! But it seems like it's not leaving the pump! Is that where the pressure regulator is found? Because the 4 stroke trolling motor works just fine and it's on the same tank/line
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Yes the pressure reg is located on the VST. This is where the pump is located as well. do you hear the fuel pump actually run on this engine when you turn the key on?Do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have an inline fuel pump and one on the motor both are brand new! Both are running
Don't have a multimeter!
Never mind will just have to bring it in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess it's just the electric starter trying to turn over the motor not cranking over my bad!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel is pouring out of where the filter is so more than likely it's not siphoning out of the fuel filter?
Not a mechanic and just trying to help diagnose! Stinking boat worked fine and went to go take it out and nothing
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
I can get you through this. It may just take a bit of time. Make sure that there is not two o-rings on the fuel filter. You really do not need a fuel pump in the boat, the ones on the engines will work fine.