Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Kenny, I'm in Michigan. Bought an 2000 Kaw 1100. There was

Customer Question

Hi Kenny, I'm in Michigan. Bought an 2000 Kaw 1100. There was a leak in the exhaust hose, and took on water really fast. I've changed the battery and cleaned the corrison. Although the dashboard comes in, there are no noise or anything when I try to start. Help... I'm a girl and my dad taught me a lot. Now he's gone and I feel like I just spent $2000 to rent a jetski for a weekend! Please, any ideas...
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I have not seen Kenny on the list for quite a while now so if you don't mind, I will attempt to assist in his absence.I am not real clear on a couple of statements you made. First, you referenced a leak in an exhaust hose and taking on water. Have you replaced the hose that was causing the leak? Are you sure it was an exhaust leak because usually when an exhaust hose leaks, the carbon monoxide released into the engine compartment ends up choking out the engine long before water becomes an issue.Second, you mentioned cleaning up corrosion. Was it salt water? If it was, did you do anything to get the salt water out of the engine? How long did the water sit in the hull before you got a chance to clean it out? Depending on what you tell me and what we find, we may be able to save your investment.Thanks,RSRBOB