Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

2006 yamaha 90 four stroke starts up and runs great hours

Customer Question

2006 yamaha 90 four stroke starts up and runs great for 2 hours and when you shut the engine off it will not start
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
When it will not start. Have you done any checking or testing on your own to see why that may be happening? Are you re-priming the engine with the primer bulb? How long does it take until it does start again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After running great for 2 hours, when putting it in neutral to reverese. It shutt off. It would turn over and start for 3 seconds and the die. When it starts I try and give it gas and it dies. Then it seems like it is either starving for fuel or am I flooding it. I can pump the throttle and it want start. The bulb is not getting rock hard like I think it should. When pumping the bulb with engine off, it does not get hard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my name is ron
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can go back the next day and it usually will start
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron. Does it run fine for 2 hours and then act up? Or did it run fine for 2 hours, you shut it off and let it sit for a while, and then had troubles when trying to re-start it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does it immediately and even if i let it sit for an hour it does not start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not immediately
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Was this just a 1 time occurrence or can you duplicate it if you want to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this happens every time i run the boat. i have gotten to the point of not turning the engine off and idling siting at a dock or floating
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The engine is going to take some troubleshooting to figure out what the issue is. What needs to happen is the problem needs to get duplicated first. And then spark output and fuel pressure need to be checked. Is that something you were looking to get into?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could it be fuel pump or spark plugs and wiring
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
It could definitely be either or, or even a fuel restriction problem. And that's why I had asked if you were able to do the testing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why would it run great for two hours at full throttle or half throttle get hot and then not crank? if it fires for three seconds and when given gas dies what could cause that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still answering my question?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I think you need to take this one in. There are no answers without troubleshooting. Good luck!
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Your fuel problem sounds like vapor lock. When the engine is hot after a hard run and you just shut it down, the heat cycle under the cowling will evaporate the fuel that is in the fuel line. This is why the engine will start for just a short time then stall. To correct this, make sure that the cooling system is in top notch shape and allow the engine to idle for just a few minutes to cool down some after a hard run before you shut it off.