Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have a 1986 yamaha 6h1l 90 hp

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1986 yamaha 6h1l 90 hp. Last year ran ok, but took a while to start, just trying today for first time and won't start.

I pulled the plugs no spark in any of the 3 cylinders.

I checked the kill switch seems ok

Ideas?

Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. First thing to check is if you have a safety lanyard switch, that it is in its place. If it is then next thing is to check for spark at the spark plugs. To do this this you need a spark gap tester and place it in line between the plug and lead. Check the above and let me know, if you still cannot start the engine, then please post back so that we can continue troubleshooting. Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In a remote spot and limited tools. Kill switch seems ok... Do I need a gap tested tester or can I just pull the plug and watch the end?

Ok be careful but you can pull the plug out and place it touching the ground (powerhead) and you can test it. Noel