Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I hav a 1986 350 . my son left the key on n up the points.he

Customer Question

I hav a 1986 350 . my son left the key on n burnt up the points.he then jumped the + side of the coil with a wire from the battery cus he wasn't getting a spark. I put new coil first then points in now it starts but the spark isn't large enough to keep it running n sometimes wont even start. wen I first put new points in it ran but would only go half its normal speed n if I gav it too much gas it would backfire n sputter. after 30 mins of running I had to do wat my son did n put wire from battery to coil to keep it running to get back to marina. can u tell me how to fix please
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** you replaced the condenser also? The condenser is more than likely shot also. The backfiring maybe another issue not related to the ignition. Replace the condenser and post back with findings.