Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

There

Customer Question

hello there
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can I do to help you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a question on the Johnson Command Center assembly for my Johnson 115ETL78 outboard motor. The warm-up lever just swings freely. I took it apart and nothing seems broken. I am wondering if there is some sort of plastic cam or fitting on the post that the warm-up lever uses to move the throttle that might have broken away. I also noticed that whatever was used for lube or grease inside the command center is now sticky and tacky. I am wondering if it is necessary to re-lubricate the mechanisms inside the command center. My biggest concern right now though is getting the warm-up lever working again.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The places that the lever gets loose are the screws where it attaches to # ***** & 55. The roller is # ***** The roller goes in to the slot of # ***** Check the bushings and that the screw # ***** is tight in the lever. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1978/115ETZ78C/REMOTE%20CONTROL/parts.html Post back with questions and findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the quick reply. I think your reference to #55 was in error, I suspect you meant #53 instead. Thanks for the link to the schematic too, that is very helpful. I see that there is no extra missing part that goes on #60 as I was first wondering. I think there is only one roller that goes into the groove on part #31. I'll have to work on this tomorrow or Saturday. Regarding my other question, is it necessary to lubricate the moving parts inside the remote control and if so what kind of lube or grease would you recommend?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Correct the bushing. Basically you want everything tight. The lever is usually come loose due to the screw backing out. Correct there is only the one roller in # ***** OMC Triple guard grease. Here's a link. https://www.google.com/search?rls=aso&client=gmail&q=OMC%20tripple%20guard%20grease#q=OMC+triple+guard+grease&tbm=shop Post back if you need further assistance.