Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Evinrude 50 jet jere lost power from 7000 rpm to 4000 rpm.

Customer Question

Evinrude 50 jet jere lost power from 7000 rpm to 4000 rpm. starts ok, but need to turn red lever on fuel control to start if standing for a few hours. Can not get over 4000 rpm
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking to?
The engine will need some troubleshooting in order to narrow down where the problem might be. What kinds of questions did you have, where did you want to start, and what you were looking to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
clare, where could the problem be? the electronic fuel control on the right side of the engine, could that be the problen or is it the carb?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare.
The engine needs troubshooting in order to figure out where the issue is. If you brought the engine to me what I would do is check compression first, spark output 2nd. After that I would run the engine and pump the primer bulb over and over, and see if the engine picked up. I would run it off of another fuel source (my own tank) in order to rule out bad gas. After all that, if each of those tests were all a pass and nothing failed, then I would pull the carbs off and rebuild them. Does that all make sense?