Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1982 OMC Sterndrive Model # ***** 5.0 motor and

Customer Question

I have a 1982 OMC Sterndrive Model # ***** 5.0 motor and would like to know the points gap and Timing numbers
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Plug gap is 0.030 Points gap is 0.018 Points dwell is 28 to 32 degree Base timing - The spec in the manual is 13 degrees before top dead center but I am going to throw my opinion on this one. The quality of gas was a lot better in 82 when this engine was made than it is today. In regards ***** ***** as a whole, the more you advance the timing the more energy you can get out of gas, but, if you advance it to far you can get detonation issues. Detonation is abnormal combustion, and it can damage the inside of an engine. Personally I would time it between 8 and 10 degrees and see how she engine runs. And only bring it up to 13 if it has a hard time idling. But if there is no problems idling at say 8 or 10, I would leave it there. I think that should do it. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, just reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank. Questions do not lose out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. Thanks,Jason