Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Jason last November I went to the shore house and noticed my

Customer Question

Jason last November I went to the shore house and noticed my motor was in the down position and the concrete was stained with oil, not sure why because I usually have the safety in place. Anyway, I bought new seals for the main piston figuring a seal went bad, changed out the seals. I reassembled everything. Lifted the motor in the full upright position and filled the reservoir, tried to move the motor up and down to bleed out the cylinders and the pistons would not move. Motor turns in both directions, trim cylinders move with no motor weight. motor is J110TLCUR 87 johnson
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't need a phone call
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Sorry for the wait but we all do this on the side, out of our houses. When you had last posted your question last night I was in bed. Is the manual override screw all the way in and tight? Did you remove the electric motor from the power trim assembly, or was the motor not disturbed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** was not disturbed, the manual let down screw is tight
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I don't get into rebuilding these units so I won't have any real idea. I will opt out and leave it open to the community. Good luck.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
OK, with the tilt full up and on the trailering legs fill the resevoir to overflowing. Put the fill plug back in and see if the trim goes up or down. If nothing recheck the fluid after running the trim motor for 10 seconds. If the fluid is still even with the bottom of the fill hole, replace the plug and let the motor all the way down using the manual relief valve. Don't unscrew it more than about 1 1/2 turns or you may damage the O rings.Once all the way down, the manual relief valve only works in the tilt range, not the trim range, let it sit for a few seconds and then raise the engine manually. Put the trailering legs down and recheck the fluid. Close the manual relief valve. Repeat if necessary.When doing the reseal job you probably introduced a lot of air into the system which it is having problems dispelling. the pump can't pump air and the air holds pressure so they you operate the system nothing moves.When you refill the system you need to totally cycle the unit at least 5 times to dispel air.Do this and post back your results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was figuring the pump being air bound, I will give it a try this evening, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have gone thru the process approx. 10 times still does not want to move on its own. However I'm getting foamy oil coming out of the fill and pressure relief when I open the fill, silver lining?
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
You just replaced the seals in the tilt ram correct? Then with the unit trimmed up remove the end cap, fill the tilt ram with fluid, replace the cap and see if you can bleed it. It's self bleeding. You still have air in the system.Make sure the trailering legs are down.