Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have 2011 Mercury 50Hp 1C136001 outboard on a Rib Boat and

Customer Question

I have 2011 Mercury 50Hp 1C136001 outboard on a Rib Boat and has connected from engine to center console 84-896536A01 harness. Currently I have no gauge to read info from engine, gas ....I called mercury and ask them what I can connect to that harness and they told me that I will need 892990T01 analog gauge adapter to that, but still did not being clear what exactly I need to get or buy to connect so I can have readings from engine.
My question is what gauges or what I need to get so will work.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today.Are you looking to get a SmartCraft gauge or just analog gauges?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Whatever is easier or fits the best, ***** ***** fine with any of them

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Well the analog will be cheaper for just a tach. Does the boat have any gauges currently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing now, so will need all gauges that functions with my engine

Lets go with analog, I already purchased the adapter harness 84-896536A01

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok, these here are just basic gauges. You can get a tach for your engine, temp gauge (if you wanted), trim gauge (would also require a trim sender on the engine. fuel gauge, requires a built in fuel tank. But you can see the basic prices of these gauges here. If you will need assistance with the wiring, I would be happy to assist you with that as well. I have submitted an offer to get my cell number, so that you an have me on the phone while you work on the boat. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/teleflex--amega-signature-series-instruments--P006_183_001_006
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will love to have the fallow:

- water pressure gauge

-fuel gauge ( how I can determinate if I have the necessary on my tank )

-voltmeter gauge

-temp gauge

- tach gauge

I will get your phone number once I will have all ready to work so I can call you

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
a tach and volt meter will be easy. Water pressure will require a part on the engine.Fuel gauge, look at your tank top, see if it has a disc on it with 5 screws in it. That will be the fuel sender.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What part is required for water pressure ? Can you please include a part number or similar

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
a hose nipple that can screw into a 1/4 pipe thread is all that is needed for the engine. the gauge kit may come with it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you recommend any specific brand for the gauges that works better with mercury ?

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Teleflex and Faria work best. But most all will work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

I was doing some search and came across this monitor system 79-879896k21

Will this work ?

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Yes that will work on the engine, but you will need the harness and the shop will need to set your ECU to digital after you installed the gauge for it to work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Looks like the analog gauges are easier set up and not so complicated ?

What you recommend between the monitor system and analog gauges ?

I have a background of electrical skills in home building so I will probably do this myself.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
I like the SmartCraft gauges, just not the Merc Monitor. Iwould go with the SC1000, if going SmartCraft. The analog are easy to wire provided that you now he codes.Is your control box the side mount?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The control box is on the side, correct.

As I mentioned that from the engine to the control box is wired and has the 14 pin harness 84-896536A01 there .

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok just checking.