Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I own a 2013 Yamaha Waverunner VX Cruiser. When I stored it

Customer Question

I own a 2013 Yamaha Waverunner VX Cruiser. When I stored it last Fall it had run perfectly all season. I took it out last week for the first time and the "overheat" warning alarm sounded after about 5-10 minutes of running. I flushed the cooling water passages, like I do regularly, and even while flushing and at idle speed, the overheat warning alarm came on. I can perform general maintenance on most engines but just looking for some guidance or some things to try that may seem obvious or are common overheat issues with this model. Many thanks, ed
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your inquiry.This is an interesting scenario because no one problem fits both symptoms perfectly.The overheat while riding would indicate some sort of restriction in the cooling system probably between the jet pump and the Y where the flush adpater connects. You can check that by disconnecting the hose coming from the stern of the craft and blowing through it. If should flow easily, unless there is water in the line, then once the line is cleared, it should flow freely.However, the overheating on the flush hose at idle should not happen if it were just a restriction in the cooling line. That leads me to believe there is something going on inside the cooling system that is affecting water flow, like a blown gasket. Blown either in the exhaust system or the actual head gasket. It would probably be a good idea to do a compression test on the engine and make sure you don't have low compression on any 2 adjacent cylinders. If you do, it has a blown head gasket between those cylinders.Beyond that, I would remove the hoses between the flush adapter and the exhaust system and inspect for restrictions. Hopefully you find something, because if you don't, you are going to have to pull the exhaust off and start inspecting for warped surfaces and blown gaskets.Let me know what you find.ThanksRSRBOBHere are a couple of links to parts diagrams to show you what the cooling lines look like in the craft.http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/riva_normal/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=yamahapwc&a=212&b=23&c=0&d=2013%20VX%20CRUISER%20PROPULSION%20SYSTEM%20-%20EXTERNAL http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/riva_normal/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=yamahapwc&a=212&b=23&c=0&d=2013%20VX%20CRUISER%20PROPULSION%20SYSTEM%20-%20EXTERNALWhere #9 is a filter for the intake of cooling water. If you have a restriction from the Y back, check this filter too.