Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I own a chaparral 21 foot and cannot locate fuses electrical

Customer Question

i own a chaparral 21 foot and cannot locate fuses
electrical problem is lights fore and aft don't work
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** likely hood of a fuse being blown on this circuit are unlikely. I would check the bulbs at the light. These lights are bad about corrosion and loosing contact. Now you could have circuit breakers. Look next to the switch on the dash is there a small round button?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is a small round button next to switch on dash

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
If that button isn't popped up the circuit breaker isn't tripped. Which means the lights themselves are the issue. Remove the cover to the light with switch on twist the bulb does it come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

one wire is disconnected. purple under dash... it has a white clamp attached to one purple wire and a loose purple wire next to it

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The purple wires are for ignition. That won't have anything to do with the lights.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my ignition works without them being attached lol

if the light bulbs are not the issue, what would i do next?

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Many times there are wires that aren't attached and the engine still functions. These harness are designed for more than one boat model and they won't be used on this model. There still is a purple connected to the ignition switch. The next step is to check voltage at the lights. If no voltage there then we have to go to the switch. Post back with findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will go to marine store and buy bulbs. but if there is another issue, can i still ask questions on this ticket?

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely............The bulbs aren't likely the issue of being burned out. It is more likely just corrosion. Most of the time you can just clean the contacts and the buld and they will work fine. Clean the contacts and bulb with a wire brush. The when you put the bulb back smear some vaseline on the bulb and the contacts. This will slow the corrosion. Post back if you still have an issue and we can find the problem. The questions doesn't close even after you have rated.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back to see how things went.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The issue with lights and horn is still not resolved

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no I dont

but maybe i could borrow one tomorrow

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok that's the next step we need to find out where you are loosing voltage. I will be available tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you... ill write tomorrow

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The lights are still not working. the horn is resolved. changing lights in the courtesy lights under the railings

i am obviously not used to this

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked for voltage at the light switch and the lights them selves? You should have 12 volts to the switch and 12 volts positive and negative ground to the light.