Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

HELP!!! 1986 90 hp mercury engine won't start, navigation lights

Customer Question

HELP!!! 1986 90 hp mercury engine won't start, navigation lights work. Battery good. Replace an anti reverse lever, engine tilted, started and shifted (all gears). Replaced steering cable and then replaced carpet. I moved the center console back (toward engine) about 4 or 5 inches. Now the engine will not start. Ignition switch does nothing...no prime click when pushed, no nothing. Shift lever shift into forward, gears engage. Nuetral, prop spins freely. Reverse, the prop locks up...about 3 or 4 inches of spin either way but that's it!!! need some help. My best guess is that the controls thinks it's in gear, hence no start. Help!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** you checked the fuse at the engine? Could I get the engine serial number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A174741
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But the fuse wouldn't have anything to do with the reverse gear locking
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Your question was. "HELP!!! 1986 90 hp mercury engine won't start" Then you stated key does nothing" We need to check that we have the fuse is good first. There is a procedure we have to follow. And the fuse is the first thing to check. Since you had the console moved around it is more likely the fuse is blown than the neutral safety switch is bad. The neutral safety switch is in the control. Now you could have knocked one of the yellow/red wires loose from the control. But I have a procedure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...I'll run through it tomorrow when I return home from a business trip...thanks. Let's put this on hold until then
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok if these all check out we will need a volt meter to determine where the issue might be. No worries we can get this fixed. Talk later.........Tan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any chance I put to much slack in the cable and it's not returning to neutral?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Not likely these cable once adjusted they don't go out of adjustment. All you have to do is shift the control forward the prop will lock when rotating to the left CCW and reverse the prop will lock when turning the prop to the right CW. Then neutral soin freely.