Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have just bought this morning a used 1996 Whittley

Customer Question

HI
I have just bought this morning a used 1996 Whittley Impala with mercruise 3lt engine, which ran very well this morning during the test run, but when we went to use it this afternoon the engine on start up sounded as though a big end had gone, yet when the revs increased it stopped the noise, I contacted the seller and he could hear the knock via the phone, I took the boat home and he who came and inspected and ran the engine on the trailer with a hose pipe cooling it and the noise was there but no where near as loud, he said it was was ok as it always sounded like that but was worried as he had heard it earlier, he asked me to get it investigated, can you give any explanation please.
Regards
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello John. My name is***** can't tell you what the sound is till I hear it. Can you upload a video to youtube and send me the link? I would do a compression test first, check the engine oil for signs of water and then disconnect the belt on the front of the engine to eliminate the water pump and the alternator as possible causes. Then check the gear lube in the drive. With engine running turn the drive left and right hard over does the noise get worse?