Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

2001 campion allante 4.3 litre penta, had the boat out all

Customer Question

2001 campion allante 4.3 litre penta, had the boat out all weekend, ran great till the last day , cruising along pulling a tub when suddenly it just slowed and engine shut down,tried starting it but wouldn't start,seemed like no fuel, thought possible bad fuse or fuel pump,let sit for about 10 minutes while checking wiring, tried turning over engine again and it started, got back to shore,then while idling it stalled out again, loaded it on trailer and brought home . Do you think could be bad pump or fuel filter? Thanks
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** very possible. The only way to know is with a fuel pressure gauge connected to the output side of the fuel pump.Run the engine and watch the fuel pressure. Do you hear the fuel pump come when you turn the key on? Could I get the complete engine model number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to get back to you on model # ***** haven't had a chance to check it out since getting back today,do you think it could be a bad fuel filter
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
It is possible. I would remove the fuel filter and dump it into a clear container. If there is allot of debris or water this can surely cause a run issue. If there is allot of water you will see a separation between the water and fuel. The water will be on the bottom.The filter is the first place to start then run the engine on a different fuel source to eliminate the boat side fuel system as a cause. You could have debris in the fuel tank causing a fuel restriction. Post back with findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks , hopefully can look at it soon
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome............ Thank you.........Tan Post back with questions and findings.