Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Yesterday, I discovered that my Nav light was on and all the

Customer Question

Yesterday, I discovered that my Nav light was on and all the switches are in the off position. Three of the switches on the instrument console have back lights on. The strange thing is that when I select the bottom position on the switch, the Nav lights go off.
The radio isn't working nor is the horn or bilge or blower. The boat starts fine and the trim works. It rained steady for the past two days and obviously something was shorted out...where do I look first?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** what you have explained is just a case of water in the switches. Disconnect the battery let everything dry out. Then reconnect the battery. Does everything work correctly?Did you have any issues before all the rain? With allot of rain the switches will get water in them which will make the switches come on the water becomes a conductor passing current making continuity. Switches are water resistant not water proof. You need to cover the switches to keep the rain out or buy rubber boots for the switches. Now you can only get rubber boots for toggle style switches. Post back with question and if the letting everything dry out doesn't resolve the issue. You may have to replace the switches.