Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Started my 2002 bayliner 2655 with 5.7 today. started right

Customer Question

started my 2002 bayliner 2655 with 5.7 today. started right up ran 5-10 mins smelt burning electrical then boat quit and wont turn over.when turn key just 1 click noise and nothing else
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote, what is it I can do for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason my name is ***** ***** idea what it can be
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Without at least looking not really. You cold have had anything from a shorted battery to an electrical fire to a burned up alternator. There are so many possablities. What kinds of questions did you have for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked all cable wires nothing was hot or loose. Exhaust manifold was warm not hot.Everything electrical works
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you try to start it right now where is the clicking coming from specifically?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not positive but sounds like an old selinoid clicking like an old car
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That's probably the starter solenoid. Without doing any troubleshooting, and just by putting 2 and 2 together. Chances are the alternator went bad and that was the cause of the electrical fire smell. And then after that the battery stopped charging. To add to that when alternators do go bad they will put a draw on the battery, and run it down when the boat is not running. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well not really because boat was idling with muffs on fir 10-15 mins then electric/ plastic smell then by time I could get to the key to shut off it made loud click then quit
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Your going to need to have somebody look at this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well yeah that's your answer?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today.Are you still looking for help on this issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes Charles any thoughts. I wasn't aware that when engine is running a solenoid could malfunction and cause engine to stop
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Well if it was the starter solenoid, that would do it. Can yo tell by smell what side of the engine the electrical smell is coming from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the starer side of engine. Didn't see smoke just smelt and wasn't able to trace scent cause wasn't overwhelming. I did check temperature of block and exhaust was normal but when I put thermoreader on starter it said it was 198 degrees
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
gotcha. does the engine crank now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No when I turn key just 1 click noise not repeative
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok, do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not that handy with electric. I'm freeking out cause although I smelt electric scent..engine stopped like it ceased up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's new oil and water coming out of prop was Luke warm not boiling hot.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
I dint think that the engine seized, but I feel that the starter did. Can yo disconnect the battery, then remove the starter and bench test it. there is also a 90A fuse on the stater, that could have also failed. When your engine as running, it sounds like the starter was still engaged, after the 10-15 minutes, it just burned up, locking the bearings inside it and stopping the engine. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes thank you Charles. MSG you tomorrow if I can to let u no
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. I will be online after 830 PM CST.