Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

U have an 85 hp starflight, from around 72.. it runs great

Customer Question

U have an 85 hp starflight, from around 72.. it runs great out of gear, but when I put it in gear will won't do more than a fast idle, to the tune of very low speed. Kinda like there is a malfunctioning governor function... any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Due to the age we need to start at the beginning with a spark test of each cylinder and a compression test. You can get a spark tester from just about any auto parts store. We want to do a compression test as the engine is really a big air pump. If we have bad compression we'll never get the engine running correctly.When was the last time the engine ran?Can you get me the exact model number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It runs great, revs high.. all Is well until engaged into gear..... at that point it only revs a bit... doesn't sound like it is trying any harder, no excessive smoke... strange
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, it ran last year fine... no issues.. starts right up
..
No excessive cranking or use of ether to start
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
First, never rev up the engine in neutral, you can damage the engine. Besides it doesn't tell us anything as the engine is not under load nor is there any exhaust backpressure.OK since this is first time out, you need to rebuild the carbs. This is a real common problem after an engine sits for a while. Make sure you use a new gasket kit. If you need help rebuilding the carbs let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to double checking... the oil ratio is 50:1 correct?
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is 1 pint for each 5 gallons of fuel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok... just thought I had really better double check that also
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Sure, Let me know how it goes.