Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

2012 300 verado lost power when running down the lake. I had

Customer Question

2012 300 verado lost power when running down the lake. I had to idle back to the cabin.
Motor will run about 50 yards and then shut down to an idle. The engine has about 470 hours and has been maintained regularly. I shut the ignition completely off, but the problem continued. What are the potential problems?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. I have a few questions for you to start.Is there a primer bulb in the fuel line?Do you have SmartCraft gauges? If so, did they show a code?Do you hear the alarm test beep when you turn the key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there is a primer bulb. There are SmartCraft guages, but it did not show any code. Has normal beep when starting motor
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** lost power, did the engine die on you or just go to a reduced sped, but would come back up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It kept running . I tried to throttle up a couple of more times but it would lose power each time so I idled back.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
What kind of boat is the engine mounted to?Do you want to fix this yourself or know what a dealer would do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The make of the boat is a Ranger. I don't know how that could impact my problem though.. If I have to take it to a dealer here in Canada, it will prevent me from using it this week and pretty much mess up my fishing trip. I thought there could be some common problem that a technician might identify. I had a similar problem on a Yamaha and it was the fuel filter. Anyway, I will probably pull the boat and take it to a dealer.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Bob,
There are two filters on this engine that you can change. One is the red top filter on the right of the engine and the other is an in-line filter in the right side of the engine. If the engine has been maintained at a Mercury dealer that is Verado qualified, these have already been changed, along with a water pump.
the first thing that you need to do is get rid of that primer bulb. That could be causing all of the issues. Verado engine s do not call for or need a primer bulb. That was a mistake by Ranger for installing it. Your maintaining dealer should have seen that as well. After it is gone, run the engine and see if it is now clear. If it is not, there is a green cap on the top left side of the engine, remove it with the engine off,, press in on the valve with a screwdriver for a few seconds. This will allow any trapped fuel in that line to escape back to the FSM. then run the engine again.If it is still messing up, you will need a new float, as they have been updated since the engine was built.