Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a '79 Cobalt with a 228 Mercruiser IO. Got the boat

Customer Question

I have a '79 Cobalt with a 228 Mercruiser IO. Got the boat out today and the outdrive went down once and went back to trailering position. Now it will not go back down. The motor runs, but it is not under any load. The up tilt works normal.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
The trim up circuit develops a lot more pressure than the down circuit. This is due to the weight and thrust of the outdrive helping push the drive down and for collision protection. It needs more pressure to trim up against the thrust of the engine and to hold trim.Where the problem is is the trim rams are sticking. There are O rings in the end cap of each ram. You can try to remove the end cap if you have a spanner tool. You can also try to grease the shaft of the ram and force the ram down. To do this remove the trim ram from the drive, remove the hydraulic hoses then push the ram in. If you are lucky the grease on the shaft will free the ram. Then pull the ram out and make sure there isn't any corrosion on the shaft.Try these things and post back what your results are and we can go from there.