Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2005 Bayliner 219SD with a 5.0 mercruiser 220hp I/O.

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Bayliner 219SD with a 5.0 mercruiser 220hp I/O. Took it out today and it ran perfect for the first 30-45 minutes, then it just started losiing power and sputtering like it was out of gas. I put it in neutral and let it idle and revved it a little. Put it back in gear and it would not plane out, struggled under load. What could cause this?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?There are a couple of things that can do it. When was the last time the engine had a full and complete tune up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Jason, Jeremy here. Not sure when it had a tune up, just bought it this week. Today was her maiden voyage. Took a 10-15 minute test ride with the previous owner and it ran fine. Looking into tune up kits now. Just kind of baffling since it was running perfect for almost 45 minutes, then not. Never died, just would not accelerate under load.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jeremy. There is a standard troubleshooting method in order to figure out what is wrong with the engine. Were you looking to do the troubleshooting yourself? If not what kinds of questions did you have for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I plan on doing some troubleshooting today, will probably take it to get it tuned up tomorrow.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Got it. Now did you need a list of items to check in order to troubleshoot it the most efficiently and without making mistakes? Or did you want to go 1 step at a time back and forth?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jeremy, it looks like you read my last reply and logged off. Were there any other questions I could answer for you on the issue?