Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2011 8.2L mercy stern drive and I'm getting a

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2011 8.2L mercy stern drive and I'm getting a fault sensor on the smart craft system. Had the same thing last year and replaced the impeller and housing and fixed the problem. 4th trip out this year and fault sensor goes off again. Temp is running at 168 at cruise then goes up to 172 when throttle is reduced. My question is 2 fold, what should the pressure be on the raw water pump and what should nth temp be on this 8.2l mag HO.
Category: Boat
Expert:  briggs archer replied 1 year ago.
The water pressure at idle should run above 2.00 for the computer to not set an alarm and should increase up to 9.00 plus. The engine has a 160 deg thermostat and will run normally at the temperatures you have . 160 - 175 deg. Check the plug to the pressure sensor for corrosion, (Green).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the response.
The code I'm getting is a Fault-sensor? On the smarcraft gauge does it say pressure or over heat if that is the issue? I was out yesterday and didn't push the boat hard and got no faults. Pressure was at 3psi and up to 10 at higher rpm's.
Also the alarm is a solid warning beep which I believe is related to oil pressure, water pressure Ron engine temp, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
*or engine temp
A solid alarm is temperature . there are three sensors for temp. Engine coolant, port manifold and starboard manifold. if the manifolds reach 200 deg., the temp alarm will sound. The amount of raw water cooling may be restricted at the hose that is connected to the transom. The opening that the hose is inserted into can corrode and squeeze the hose smaller. A water pressure of 10 at higher RPM's should be higher, and the engine temperature will climb slightly higher than the nominal 175 deg.