Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

You know how you have to have your shift control

Customer Question

Hey there, you know how you have to have your shift control in neutral to start your engine. That seems to be shorting or maybe its loose. Sometimes it won't work and I put it in and out of neutral and then eventually it works. How would I fix that? Thanks!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Could I get the make model and serial number of the engine please? Do you know the make of the control? Some neutral safety switches are on the engine others in the control. I just need to knw what we are working on. Typically the switch is going bad when this happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unfortunately have not had an opportunity to go to my boat yet and get the information. I didn't realize there was a time limit. I see I've already been charged for a question that is yet to be answered?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The question is still open and you can continue with our trouble shooting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright I'll get the information in the next couple of days and then get back to you...
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok the question doesn't actually close it will time out but not close till we are finished.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the shift/control is a Teleflex CH1700
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok you should have 2 yellow/red wires coming out of the control. Connect those 2 wires together does engine crank?