Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Starts but....

Customer Question

I have a Mercury 60HP 4 stroke, with maybe 30 hours....bloody thing will start, but I have to take off the hood and fiddle around with the wires, fuse boxes and then you can hear the power going through then it starts no problem?? do you know what the problem is? loose wire? which one....nearest service is 3 hours away....thanks

I cross wired it 2 years ago and burnt out the DIY connector or something like that is what the mechanic told me, but maybe its related to this? maybe its a wire that they should've changed?

Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. There are a few wires that can cause the engine to power up. The first being the positive cable on he starter solenoid. It had a red rubber cover over it. The next being the ground wire that is going to the starter. And finally the one that goes to the diode pack that you blew. It is located below the starter solenoid behind a bunch of wires and screws to the plate that the ECU is mounted to. It is a 10mm bolt head. There are several ground wires there. Let me know what you find out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what do I do with these? do I need to see where the short is or where the power is not getting through? thanks....

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
All you need to do with these wires is make sure that the connectors and nuts/bolts on them are tight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the yellow one moved a little? this might be it?

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Was it straight yellow or yellow/red? the straight yellow is larger that the yellow/red.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it was 10 mm & the bottom one was larger bolt/nut, but the top one swerved a bit when I tried to turn, must've been loose? I'll go test out tomorrow on lake and take the wrench....

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. I will not be online until after 830 PM tomorrow. I have a day job and then baseball practice. Talk to you then.Charles.