Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Have a minn kota HD Universal 80lb,24 volt on a 2010 Skeeter.

Customer Question

Have a minn kota HD
Universal 80lb,24 volt on a 2010 Skeeter. was using yesterday for about 3 hours; had to get back to the ramp and engaged the motor at 100% for about 5min, when the motor stoped runnig. " dead". checked the switch on the foot pedal;had not moved from the engaged position;checked the fuses; all ok. checked the batteries they were at about 12.3 volts. Am puzzled as to what the problem is. Can you offer some help?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today.Remove the plug to the trolling motor and test for power going to it. It should read at least 24V DC. If it does not, the issue is in the boat. If you do get the correct voltage, remove the prop from the motor. Make sure that there is not any fishing line around the shaft. With the prop still off and the motor stowed, remove the lower bolt that is going into the motor housing. Check it for any sings of water/rust or a burnt smell. Let me know what you find there.