Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1979 70HP Evinrude outboard. All new fuel lines, new

Customer Question

I have a 1979 70HP Evinrude outboard. All new fuel lines, new plugs, cleaned the 3 carbs twice and it still wants to die at idle. It starts up just fine but then loses RPMs very quickly until it dies. If I start it and open the butterflies by hand and rev it up a few times it'll run great with no problems at idle or WOT. But when you cut it off and start it again, it does the same thing. What could be the problem here?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** you push the choke momentarily will the engine continue to run? Squeeze the primer bulb does the engine continue to run?