Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I recently replaced the ignition switch on my 1989 johnson

Customer Question

I recently replaced the ignition switch on my 1989 johnson 90 HP. The motor starts and runs good but will not shut off when switch is turned to off position. No wiring was touched on motor.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** the black and the black/yellow wires from the ignition switch start engine and touch the 2 wires together does the engine stop? You can also just use a jumper wire between the 2. If the engine doesn't stop jump a ground to the black/yellow wire from another ground source. Does the engine stop? What is happening is you are not grounding the black/yellow which grounds the ignition stopping the engine. You have no ground at the key switch or there is a break in the black/yellow wire going to the engine. Post back with findings.