Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

My tohatsu 6 hp quit when put in gear. Took it in. Shop said

Customer Question

My tohatsu 6 hp quit when put in gear. Took it in. Shop said it was carburetor. I paid them to fix and do yearly maintenance. I got it back. It smoked on start up and ran for 10 minutes then quit. When I tried to pull start it again, the rope recoiled and locked up.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My email is***@******.***. My cell is(###) ###-#### I have the tohatsu with the built-in tank. I always flush it out and maintain it. It's about 2 years old.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
You stated it locked up, please check the cord/recoil and then remove the spark plug, now try turning the flywheel by hand, if it still won't turn then something is preventing movement such as internal failure which could be rings, piston, etc, as well as many other things that would require tear down to find the problem.
This is so long as the problem is no recoil/cord and or prop, also check not hydrolocked with fuel/water.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.