Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Replace fuel pump, Mercruiser 1989 Wellcraft boat, v6/4.3 engine,

Customer Question

Replace fuel pump, Mercruiser 1989 Wellcraft boat, v6/4.3 engine, runs well and then will just shut down, starts up right away and goes a short distance and again quits. Is it the fuel pump or feeder line from tank to fuel pump, which is more likely;
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Between wether the problem is a bad fuel pump, or a fuel supply issue. It can obviously be either one, but the odds of there being a problem with the fuel supply is more likely than it being the pump. The test is to simply get a gas can or a portable outboard tank and running the engine directly off of that. If it runs better it's a tank issue, if not, it's a pump issue. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay in answering it makes sense that running the engine off another tank but if it is the supply problem, how do I replace the line from the tank to the fuel pump. On the Wellcraft, there are two rubber hoses, the smaller on appears to run to the vent of the tank on the side of the boat, the other is larger, about 2 inch. How is the gas fed to the pump on the Wellcraft.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Can you see where the fuel line connects at the fuel tank?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jason. No, the only two lines are the two inch and the 5/8 inch line to the vent on the side of the boat. What has to be taken off the boat to get to the tank.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hmmm.... By Coast guard law you should have access to the fuel fittings on the tank, so it shouldn't be that hard to find. Have you looked very carefully, and checked under all hatch covers in order to try and find the fuel line?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jason: Have looked about everywhere on the boat, removed a box cover under the dash opposite the steering wheel and the two inch line and the smaller one is all there is. Will go back and see that all there is again. What is your e mail address so I can respond after if look Dick
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dick, you would respond right back here to the website. Make sure you login to Justanswer, and then on the upper right click the tab that says "My questions" and it will bring you back here. By law you should have access to the tank fittings, so unless somebody modified the floor or installed a new floor into the boat you should be able to find it.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dick, just checking in. Any luck?