Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2006 200hp L6 VERADO . my maximum revs with

Customer Question

hello
i have a 2006 200hp L6 VERADO . my maximum revs with my 17pitch prop is 5100 revs.
i have heaps of power. more than i need. the engine gets on my 22foot boat on the plane approx 4 seconds.
does it matter if i dont change the prop to get the revs up to 5800 to 6400 revs
will the engine be ok?
thanks dennis
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** will be assisting you today. Running the engine below the recommended powerband is what we call lugging the engine. This can lead to an early demise of the engine, fuel in the oil, and the engine not coming fully up to temp. You would first need to make sure that the engine is running on all 6 cylinders. then you can try a few pros to see which one that you like best. If you can tell me what make and model the boat is, I can look up which prop would be best for it.