Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2015 270 Sundeck I took delivery of this week. The

Customer Question

I have a 2015 270 Sundeck I took delivery of this week. The gas gauge is bouncing quite a bit. My dealer took a look at it and texted me this "We removed the sender and it's working properly. It's just very sensitive. The gauge does not move unless the sender float moves. My daughter has the same boat and the gauge works the same".
I am not sure I buy this answer since it's a brand new boat. Thoughts?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** wiring will cause the same issue. Check that all the connections are tight on the sender and the gauge. Do you have an ohm meter to test the sender? I would say the sender is ok since 2 boats read the same way. Boat fuel gauges do bounce around as the boat is moving around allot. It's not like your car on rubber tires with shock absorbers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan
I don't have an ohm meter and I'm not overly mechanical to know exactly how to do it myself without doing some research. I just traded in a 2009 Searay Sundeck and that gauge never bounced so I just wasn't expecting a brand new boat to have this issue
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The thing that tells me there isn't an issue is 2 boats are acting the same way. Now I can't see how the gauge is acting to tell you if it is excessive or not. Does the gauge read correctly? To test this with an ohm meter all you have to do is connect the ohm meter to the sender and monitor the meter movement. Connect the red meter lead to the sender post and the black meter lead to the sender base.