Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Volvo: I have a volvo penta boat with a 270 sterndrive .I am

Customer Question

I have a volvo penta boat with a 270 sterndrive .I am having problens with it lifting up,as it is very slow.Is it electic over hydrolics and where if needed do you add oil? Thankyou
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** tilt on this drive is an electric motor that turns a screw drive to lift the drive. http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/5/8/0/4/4/webimg/573637680_tp.jpg If you have trailered the boat with the drive up and not used the trailering bracket the tilt rod maybe bent causing binding. Test the voltage to the motor when you activate the switch. The tilt unit is on the port side of the transom assembly. There is a plastic box on top of the tilt assemble. At the base is the motor. Remove the cover and test the voltage going to the motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you,,
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.............Thank you........Tan Please post back if you need further assistance. The question stays open even after you have put in a positive rating for my help. Thank you......Tan
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Here is another diagram of the system. The screw spindle is the part that can get damaged if trailered without trailering bracket.