Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 1989 dt150ssk. It will idle very rough and then as

Customer Question

I have a 1989 dt150ssk. It will idle very rough and then as soon as we put it in gear it dies. The spark plugs keep fouling and when we put new plugs it the motor runs fine. I think it's an oil issue. At forst we thought that the oil pump didn't work so we mixed gas and oil in the tank then we took it out again we noticed a drop in the oil tank level. So I am thinking the oil pump actually is working. Any thoughts.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, The problem that you are describing sounds like dirty/clogged carbs. You will need to remove them, take them apart, clean everything out including all of the internal passages Reassemble them using new gaskets/o-rings, and new needles. Once all of this is complete, the engine will not foul the plugs and will run smoothly.