Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My Kohler 5e marine is cutting off after 10 mins. topped

Customer Question

Hi - my Kohler 5e marine is cutting off after 10 mins. topped off the coolant and it ran fine for about30 days. its doing the same thing. is bleading the system somwthing i can try myself?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** have any signs of coolant in the bilge of the boat? You can go to a auto parts store and rent a cooling system pressure tester. Remove the cap from the coolant system and install the pump and gauge. Now pump up the cooling system to 15 psi now monitor the pressure. Look all around the engine for coolant leaks. If no leaks found externally then you have a leaking head gasket or leaking heat exchanger. Now if you have a head leaking you will have exhaust gases in the coolant. There is a kit for testing for gases in the coolant. Here is a link to the kit. http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/ryder/af/ryder/core/content/product/srm/oid/276303/erm/productDetail.do?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=product&gclid=Cj0KEQjwza6sBRCMiaaPtY_c2tIBEiQAacj5IzTY7Oqa9qVZSJMnIaSgsJvc0PuTgsnE83E3BBlRE8EaAlZe8P8HAQ There is a way to check for coolant in the heat exchanger remove the end cap of the exchanger look for coolant in the raw water.