Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1992 25hp with electric start that I just bought.

Customer Question

I have a 1992 25hp with electric start that I just bought. I do a lot of backtrolling and the motor runs fine for an hour then dies and will not start. After a half hour or more it will restart but cuts out after a few minutes. I brought it in to a mercury dealer and he has never heard of such a problem. He rebuilt the carb and adjusted it along with new plugs. I took it out the next day and it made it for an hour and died. Wouldn't start for 20 minutes. It finally started, ran for 50 yards and died again. Would not restart so used the trolling motor to get home. The mechanic said he ran it for 2 hours (@ $100/hr.) and it ran great. Seem like something is overheating when under stress in gear? ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello,my name is***** will be assisting you today.How is the water discharge from the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THERE SEEMS TO BE A GOOD DISCHARGE OF WATER. I DIDN'T NOTICE THAT IT WAS PARTICULARLY HOT. BY THE WAY, THE MERC TECH WHO WORKED ON IT TRIED TO PUT A HEAT GUN TO A ELECTRICAL THING THAT SELLS FOR 180 OR SO TO SEE IF IT WOULD QUIT.....IT DIDN'T
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Do you know if that part was the switchbox or the stator? Stator is under the flywheel and the switchbox in on the left side of the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
swiychbox
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ALOT OF FRIENDS HAVE MADE SUGGESTIONS BASED ON PROBLEMS THEY HAVE EXPERIENCED SIMILAR TO MINE.
ONE SUGGESTED VAPOR LOCK (WHICH I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT}, THE COILS ARE BAD, THE IMPELLER IS NOT SENDING ENOUGH WATER. SOMEONE SAID THERE IS A SWITCH THAT SHUTS THE MOTOR DOWN IS IT IS OVERHEATING. ANY OF THESE MAKE ANY SENSE?