Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

The fuse constantly blows on my yamahaXL 760, 2001. Put in

Customer Question

The fuse constantly blows on my yamahaXL 760, 2001. Put in new battery first and was locked out by security code when boosting I think I blew the fuse but now I can't get a fuse to not blow.
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
HI and thank you for your question. I want to start with the basics. There is only one thing that causes a fuse to blow. There is a short to ground. Somewhere, the positive is going to ground.I am going to start at the beginning to make sure we leave no stone unturned.First, you said you charged the battery. Let's put a volt meter, preferably digital, on the battery and see what we have for volts. Put your meter red lead on the + terminal of the battery and the black meter lead on the - side of the battery. You should be reading a positive 12.7 dcv or more if you have a fully charged battery. If it reads a negative number, the battery polarity has gotten reversed.Next, make sure you only have red cables connected to the + side of the battery and black cables connected to the - side.If everything is checking out so far, inspect the wiring harness and look for any signs of wires getting pinched. If the ski has had any work done on it recently, double check the area where the work was being done and see if a wire has gotten pinched and is grounding out.Also, make sure you are using the correct amperage fuse. Probably a 30a fuse.If you cannot find any sign of damaged wires, the easiest thing to do from here is start unplugging components one at at time until you find the amp draw (short). To do this, take the electrics box apart. One of the highest probability components is the rectifier/regulator. It is the component that has the aluminum cooling fins on it. You only need to unplug the one red wire coming out of it to eliminate it from the system. The other wires would have no effect on blowing a fuse even if they had a problem. If you still have high amp draw, plug it back in and move forward. If you have an ammeter, you can use that in line with a battery lead to read amp draw instead of blowing a bunch of fuses looking for the short.Next, unplug the wires coming out of the handlebars and going into the harness. Generally, with the ski off, the red wire is the only wire carrying battery voltage so you can look for red wires and disconnect them.Since it sounds like this happens right away, the problem should be able to be isolated by disconnecting the red wire going to the component. Once you loose the amp draw when you disconnect a specific red wire, whatever component that red wire goes to is what has shorted out and will need to be replaced.If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.ThanksRSRBOBBTW, the last year Yamaha made an XL760 was 1999. In 2000, they went to 800's. Unless you have a 700, which they did also make in 2001.