Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I am want to repower my boat with new 4 stroke 250's. I need

Customer Question

I am want to repower my boat with new 4 stroke 250's. I need 30" shafts. I have a down payment on a pair of new 4 stroke 250XA's (25" shafts) Is there extension kits available from Yamaha? If I went to after market extension kits does the warranty still hold on the outboards?
Patricia
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
There are extensions available, but it's not a kit. You would have to by the extension, driveshaft, and the odds and ends to make it work piecemeal. Will the dealer not let you order 30 inch shaft engines instead?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my name is Patricia. 30" shafts are not available on 4 stroke 250's mechanical shift, only 25" shafts. In order to get 30" shafts without extensions I would have to go to 300 or 350 electronic, and I don't won't to to that. I know there are extension kits available from Bay Mfg., but I am concerned about the warranty being in place.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
HI Patricia. That is not true, Yamaha makes 2 different F250 models, they make a 3.3 liter and a 4.2 liter. Both are available in 25 and 30 inch shafts. Where did you hear they were not available in 30 inch shaft?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The 25 inch shaft model is an F250XA, the 30 inch shaft model would be an F250UAThose would be identicle engines except for the shaft lengths.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Are you still with me Patricia?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unfortunately, I was told by the owner of the dealership they were not available in 30" shafts.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I hate to say it that simply not true. If you ordered F250XA engines, but need 30 inch shaft engines, what you need to order is F250UA engines. Click this link - http://yamahaoutboards.com/outboards/V6-Offshore-4_2L/specificationsScroll down to where it says "Shaft Length" You can see the engines are available in both 25 and 30 inch shafts.I think your dealer either doesn't know any better. Or, he is trying to pull a fast on you for some reason. What you would relaly need to do is call him as ask him/tell him that you need F250UA engines instead. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to question him as far as his knowledge is concerned. Needless to say I am not a happy camper. Will go to site and print out. Thank you.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome and I was glad I could help. I'm sure you can see now he is not telling you the whole story. I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing you, so If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, just reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank. Questions do not lose out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. Thank you,Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason, I did find out 3.3L 250 4 stroke cannot be ordered with a 30" shaft. You have to order an extension kit or order yamaha parts to extend to 30". You have to jump to a 4.2L 250 to be able to get a 25" or 30" shaft and they are electronic and not mechanical shifters. Patricia