Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2008 Honda 20 horse 4 stroke outboard. Impeller was damaged as all fins were gone

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Honda 20 horse 4 stroke outboard. Impeller was damaged as all fins were gone. I replaced impeller and water pump. When I start it up, water seems to flow freely. When I increase speed, it seems to run a little rough and then water stops flowing and it dies. I stRt it up again and no water. Doesn't seem to be anything clogging line.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Couple of questions back to you.
First, when you had it apart for the impeller did you remove the thermostat and flush the block out with a garden hose?
2nd, did the engine have a bad overheat? I'm assuming with the impeller vanes gone it probably overheated.