Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I am restoring an old vintage commercial clam boat

Customer Question

Hello , I am restoring an old vintage commercial clam boat with a single 555 cummins in it that I believe goes back to the early 1970's, which is in bad shape but I have found the same engine locally that looks good has good oil pressure and started right up on a pallet in a boat yard here locally . I am prepared to buy and install it but( A) became a little disheartened after researching the motors track record on the web , as it seems nobody seems to think it was a good engine at least in trucks and farm equipment . And (B )what problems do you think these engines had in general and /or in marine applications ? Any thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated Thanks Pat
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
It is hard to judge a motor by different applications as even though the motor is thought of in a way to be the same they are actually quite different. A marine application motor is going to be usually much better and strong because of the application that it is used in and while I do not have personal knowledge of the negative reviews of this model I can say that even if oil pressure is good what you want to do is visually inspect an engine which will tell you a lot about it. Something well taken care of will look as such visually. You would also want to preform a compression test and check for moisture and blowby as well as a leakdown test if would could be done. Honestly speaking, when an engine is out of the vessel it's best to just have it overhauled while it is out.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.