Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Having hard time removing the four bolts holding the swivel

Customer Question

having hard time removing the four bolts holding the swivel tube to the motor of a 60 hp mercury motor..the 4 nuts were removed.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?Can I get the serial number on the engine you are working on? What is it you are trying to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ser. #1C038400 Model # *****
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I've got the serial number. Now what is it you are trying to exactly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me how to remove the 4 bolts holding the swivel tube to the motor? There are 2 bolts at the top and 2 at the bottom of the swivel tube. I was able to remove all 4 nuts from all 4 bolts. The 4 bolts are just can't be pulled out of their holes. Do you know how to take them out?
Thank you,
Gabe
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Click this link below to pull up a picture. Are you trying to remove #'s 8 and 13. If yes, are the bolts spinning?
https://xfer.mercmarine.com/pximages/partscatalog/COMMON//29614_500.gif
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They're not spinning at all. Yes, they are #8 and 13. I was able to remove the 4 nuts from the 4 bolts but, the bolts are stuck, I can't turn them with the 18mm wrench at all. I lubricate them with wd40, pounding with hammer and still not moving. That why I turn to you for advise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw that picture before.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Got it. The bolts should just pull out like any old normal bolt. If they are not spinning then they are corroded into place inside the motor mounts. WD40 is not a great penetrating oil. A better one is PB blaster, the best one is a mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid in an oil can. Using an impact gun vs hand tools will also greatly help. But that is what is holding the bolts in is corrosion. Did you have any further questions on the issue or does that answer if for you?Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will go buy a can of pb blaster to try on these bolts and see if it will loosen them. I will let you know the results.Thanks,
Gabe
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome Gabe. Good luck! Stuck bolts can be a real pain sometimes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried all your techniques, nothing works. I had to cut all 4 bolts with fast spin blade! Then hammer out each one of them piece by piece.Regards,
Gabe
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Yep, that's how working boats goes. Nothing likes to come apart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since your answers did not work, do I get my money back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get reimbursed?