Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I lost the key to my 1999 Johnson 40 hp and am trying to

Customer Question

Hi, I lost the key to my 1999 Johnson 40 hp and am trying to start it by jumping the solenoid, it turns over, but does not fire..any ideas
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is Tan. The key switch is grounding the ignition. You need to disconnect the black/yellow wire from the key switch or the power pack to run the engine. The black/yellow will be in a round connector either cut the wire or pull plug apart and spray the blk/yel pin and slid blk/yel pin out of connector. Do you follow what I am saying to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I disconnected the harness from the control and jumped the solenoid with pliers..she turns over fast and fine, but never "fires"..I can see the fuel filter filling with gas also.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
What harness? Could I get the engine model number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is a 1999 Johnson 40 hp 20 inch shaft

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Check for spark when you are cranking the engine? Do you have spark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't, but about a week ago before I lost the key, it started and ran perfect.

Only difference is no key in ignition.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Try this on the engine is the choke primer. click here Squeeze the primer bulb till firm. Turn the red lever on the primer solenoid now crank the engine. Does it start? Be sure you have water to the engine. When the engine starts turn the lever back to it's original position. To shut engine off turn the red lever again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is not getting spark without the key installed...it just floods when I keep cranking it.

I might need to disassemble the control box and trace the ignition wires.

Too dark now, will try in the AM

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
No there is an easy way just disconnect the black/yellow wire from the power pack # ***** on the engine. This will eliminate the ground that is killing spark. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1999/J40PLEEA/IGNITION%20SYSTEM%20--%20ELECTRIC%20START/parts.html No need to disassemble the control. Now if you look at the black portion of the keyswitch where the key goes in there is a number. If you can get me that number we can get a replacement key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** give it a shot in the AM, I tried to look for the number, but the key switch is so old and sun faded, there are no visible numbers.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok yeah when we have no spark the black/yellow at the power pack is the first wire we disconnect to get spark. Post back with findings.