Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Jason, I have 24' Pontoon boat with a Nissan NS90A engine.

Customer Question

Jason,
I have 24' Pontoon boat with a Nissan NS90A engine. The other day I had to rev it up pretty good in reverse while I was backing it off the bank. Problem is it will not go into neutral or forward. The handle will but the gears will not change. I have taken the cable off to verify they were working properly and no issues. I've been told that it's probably the drive shaft is broken. Thoughts?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Jason here, whom am I speaking with?When you backed up did you happen to notice if you hit anything? Are you near the boat now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** boat is in viewing distance on the lake and it feel like I hit anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didn't feel like I hit anything thing.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben. If you remove the shift cable from the engine, and then have a helper move the shifter handle back and forth. Can you see the cable extend and retract when the handle goes forward and backwards?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the cable seems to be ok.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Now look at the linkage connects to. Can you slide the shift linkage back and forth?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One other thing. Once I back off the land and went to go forward the handle would not go past neutral. I ended up coming home in reverse for about a half a mile. Once I reached home I tried to go forward and the handle would go forward but the gears are still in reverse, even in neutral.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Is the boat in the water right now or on a trailer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's in the water.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a helper that doesn't mind getting wet right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do, me... it's 102 degPlanning on pulling it out tonight if they don't drop the water level.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You need to be in 2 places at once. Somebody needs to move the shift linkage on the engine by hand, the other person needs to spin the propeller by hand. Do you have somebody to help you out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do and headed down there shortly.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Do this with the engine off obviously. Have somebody jump in the water and try turning the propeller by hand in either direction. Then, try moving the shift linkage by hand through the forward, neutral, and reverse positions. And have the helper see if he can turn the propeller in either direction, or if it always stays locked. Let me know what happens.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, just checking in. Any luck?