Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Fellow Vavy Veteran, I have a 189 yamaha t50trlw that is carbonated...

Customer Question

Fellow Vavy Veteran, I have a 189 yamaha t50trlw that is carbonated... I just had the them cleaned with ultrasound to the tune of $500 last season.. .despite my best efforts to use the non ethanol fuel AND TREAT that gas...AND disconnect the gas tank and let it run until it stalls ... I am still having carb issues. I was considering buying a sonic cleaner. if I take this route will do I need to take the jets out... if so whats the procedure?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Charles. Thank you for your service to this great country.What is the engine doing right now, as far as running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It stumbles at low RPMs

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is stumbling at low RPMS 2000-3500

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Not his fault, I dropped the ball by mistake. but since then I have not been able to have any marine mechanic ( or this gentleman respond to my question) Again the fault is my own, but I (perhaps wrongly so) infer that I am being rated as well by experts and have a blemish or 2 for leaving him or others hanging or possibly not tipping well enough?? Net net no boat mechanic will respond to me when my history and experience is that i typically get an answer with in 5-20 minutes on average
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello Greg, welcome back.
I was at work when you replied.
How is the spark on the engine at this RPM? Using a timing light you can check it.
How do the spark plugs look on the engine? Is one whiter than the others?
If you were to squeeze the primer bulb with the engine at this RPM would it run better?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for getting back to me. I will check to morrow when I get down to the house

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, let me know.