Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2004 18.5 Stingray fish and ski with a Volvo Penta

Customer Question

I have a 2004 18.5 Stingray fish and ski with a Volvo Penta 3.0 liter engine. I am having trouble starting the engine at the beginning of a day. Once it is warmed up it starts on first turn of ignition. Seems like it may not be getting fuel. I don't see a choke option on this boat. I must be missing something. Just got it. Any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

There is a right way to start the engine, and then there is anything other than the right way, whic would make starting harder to impossible.

Can you tell me step by step how you are going about starting the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. Open engine compartment to evacuate any fumes

2. Turn key to right (3 to 5 second crank and turn switch back to left)

3. Repeat and usually takes 10 to 15 attempts before turning over

4. Often dies out until engine runs for 2 minutes

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay, that isn't going to be the correct way to start it, so I am not surprised if you are having a bit of an issue.There is not the proper way to start it. 1. Thought not actually needed to start, smelling for gas fumes is always a great idea and a good habit, even if just a quick sniff. 2. Stick remote control (the shifter handle) in the the neutral position, and give it 2 to 3 full pumps. That would be from the idle position, to full throttle, and back, 2 to 3 times. 3. Stick the remote control handle in the 1/3rd to 1/2 of the way open. 4. Turn key to start. As long as the engine is in a good state of tune, it will start. After I does you bring the throttle lever back so that idle rpms are right around 1000 to 1200. Let it fast idle at that rpms for 1 solid minute. Then bring the throttle back so that it idles at the normal 700-800 rang. And from there you can pop it into gear and go. That is the correct way to start it. Do it that way and it will start a lot easier for you. Did you have any further questions on the issue or does that take care of it for you?Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try this on Saturday and see if it works. I have pushed the throttle ahead once only and that did not seem to help. Hopefully 2 to 3 times will do the trick.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The carburetor has what is called an accelerator pump circuit in it. this pump injects fuel for quick take offs. It also injects fuel before the engine is running in order to prime it for cold starting. If the engine doesn't have fuel for cold starting, it will be hard to start. So that's why it needs to be pumped a few times, in order to prime the engine. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Makes sense. Hopefully this solves my issue. Thanks for the help.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome and I was glad I could help.

I think that should do it. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, just reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not lose out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. And if I have saved you quite a bit of money, or saved you a trip to the dealer, tips are always greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason