RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Yamaha Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Serv Mgr, G/M
10825618

I have 1996 Yamaha waveraider 1100 has no spark to all 3 cylinders

Customer Question

Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.Based on the fact that you have no spark on all 3 cylinders, that eliminates a lot of possibilities. That means we are looking for something that affects all 3 cylinders. The ignition system for the most part is designed as 3 independent ignition systems, where it uses 3 charge coils feeding 3 independent circuits inside the electronic control module (sometimes referred to as the CDI box) and 3 ignition coils. There are only a couple of components that by themselves affect all 3 cylinders. Those components are the engine stop switch and the pulser coil. The easiest component to test is the engine stop switch. Open the hood and locate a 2 wire connector that has one black and one wire in it. Unplug that connector and re-test for spark. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT attempt to start, run or operate the craft with the black and white wire connector unplugged. You will have no way to stop the engine. Lay the spark plugs on on the head or exhaust pipe AWAY from the open spark plug holes in the cylinder head. You want to keep them away from the open holes just in case it sprays fuel out of the cylinder. If the fuel hits a sparking plug, it is going to ignite it in the air, and could cause serious injuries. Heeding those warnings, install the lanyard and crank the engine over and test for spark. If you get spark by unplugging the black & white wire connector, you can take the handlebar switch apart that houses the stop button and attempt to clean the contacts. It is not uncommon for them to form a corrosion connection that grounds the ignition preventing the ignition system from sparking. If unplugging that connector does not produce spark, proceed to testing the charge coil. You will need a mutl meter that reads resistance in ohms to check it. There are 2 checks, the first is from the black/red wire to the brown wire. Resistance should be somewhere between 172 ohms minimum to a maximum of 258 ohms. Anywhere between those specs is fine. Usually if there is a problem, it is either going to be showing a dead short (almost no ohms resistance) or an open circuit or broken wires (No continuity or very high resistance). If that side checks out good, check the other side of the charge coil which is the red/black wire to the blue wire, spec is 356-984 ohms resistance. Again, anything between those numbers is considered good. In the highly unlikely event that none of those tests produce the source of the problem, the only other variable is the CDI unit. This is rather low probability because you have no spark on any cylinder, but it is a possibility. It becomes a much more plausible possibility if your engine does not have the chrome plated T shaped support bracket that connects the cylinder head to the electrical box. In stock configuration, there was just a chrome strip of steel across the top of the wires for the ignition coils as they exit the housing. A revised, improved bracket is the T shaped bracket that helps stabilize the upper portion of the electrical box. Yamaha found that with out the additional stabilization the engine would tend to shake the CDI box too much and cause premature failures. It is pretty rare now to find a unit that has not had that upgrade done, but I wanted to mention it so you could check, and if you have to replace your CDI box, you add the brace to prevent a repeat failure. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.ThanksRSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulser coil is that the 3 coils that go to the spark plug
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
No, it is contained within the stator. It is separate wiring that is wrapped around the same core as the stator. If you find the colored wires I referenced, you will be testing the correct coils. If they prove to be out of spec, then you will have to replace the stator to repair your ski.
Thanks Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your Beloit was my pick up coils attached with the stator
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
:)