Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have an 06 mercruiser 496 mag with only 140 hours. Running

Customer Question

I have an 06 mercruiser 496 mag with only 140 hours. Running fine and then I started getting a constant beep when idling in no wake zone. Oil pressure, temp, ans fluid levels are ok. Wouldn't quit until I opened it up and ran for a minute or so.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The problem you are experiencing is most probably due to a bad sensor on the engine. Unfortunately there is no one in particular which I can point you at as the problem can be coming from almost most of the sensors. To know which one it is you would need to connect the engine to a diagnostic tool and that will point you to where the alarm is coming from. From your description it is nothing serious but annoying. If you require further assistance or have further questions let me know. Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does it even when I just turn the key on before I start it. A constant load beep. Why would it stop when I get out of idle and run (30-35 mph) for a minute or so. Then when I have to idle again, it takes a minute or so and starts back up. Seems like if it just a bad sensor it wouldn't shut off. ??
Ok then i think i know what it is. When you turn the key on the loud beep is representing low oil pressure obviously because the engine is off and thus there is no pressure. When it starts the oil sending unit is giving low oil pressure to activate the alarm. This problem goes off when you increase the rpm of the engine because the pressure is increasing. If the oil pressure is ok on the gauge then the oil pressure switch is not working properly and is giving no pressure when the pressure is low. That would require the oil pressure switch to be replaced. Replace it and it should be ok.Noel
Did you manage to solve the problem?
Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bringing it to the shop today so they can put in on the diagnostics tool and pin it down. What you said made sense so we will see.Thanks,
Ok keep me updated and kindly rate my service. Thanks, Noel
Any update on the above?
Thanks,
Noel