Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Engine stalling problem:When I went to start starboard

Customer Question

Engine stalling problem:
When I went to start starboard engine turned key and got no power. Didn’t hear the beep for fuel injector, no click, nothing. Wasn’t a battery problem. I took the panel off and jiggled the wire that connects to the fuse and then I got power and it started fine.
Later when under power moving up the river (about 15-20 mins later) the starboard engine just stalled out. No alarms. When tried to restart, I got power and it turns overs…but just wouldn’t start. Sounds like it is about to but just doesn’t kick in.
The fact that it turns over tells me that the first issue is solved (but maybe not). Any thoughts on what to check next?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you. With the first issue, it sounds like you have a loose wire on the solenoid. When the engine was running and just died, that is due to a loss of power to the engine. The vibrations on the engine when running, would have worked the main power wire loose and that would kill the engine. you will need to look at the main power wire going to the starter and the main ground going to the block. Also check the wires on the battery.