Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I am working on a 2002 Mercury 150 HP outboard.

Customer Question

I am working on a 2002 Mercury 150 HP outboard. It is a 2 stroke model with triple, double barrel carbs. Model: 2002 150XL SWB.
I am having difficulty with the unit shifting into and especially out of gear. It is almost impossible to shift from forward to neutral while the motor is running.
I have disconnected the shift and throttle cables at the engine and worked the shifter manually by hand with no issue.
I have removed the lower unit and cleaned up the build up of gunk on the shift collar that slides over the splined shaft at the lower unit. All smooth as silk and no problem.
I have replaced the shift assy at the dash, it did seem a little stiff and with the new one in and hooked only to the cables (cables disconnected at the engine) it was very smooth.
I also worked both the shift and throttle cables by hand with both ends disconnected and they were both very smooth and free.
Is there something I am missing here?? This is only difficult to shift while the motor is running.
HELP!!!!!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.
Normally this problem is due to either the revs of the engine are too high, more then 8--rpm or else there is a problem with the doc clutch. IF this is the case the lower unit would need to be opened to repair this but since this problem is happening while the engine is running then most probably that is the problem. If the rpm are above 80 rpm reduce the rpm and see how it goes.If you have further questions let me know. Noel
Did you manage to solve the problem? If you need further assistance let me know and kindly rate my service.
Thanks,
Noel