Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 350 Murcruiser, the lower unit or propeller makes

Customer Question

I have a 350 Murcruiser, the lower unit or propeller makes a knocking noise when under power in forward but not in neutral or reverse. Also can smell something like burning rubber
Could it be the rubber part inside the propeller came lose from the propeller hub??
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** burning rubber smell is possibly the engine coupler at the rear of the engine. If the coupler is failing you will get a burning smell and it will make noise as the u-joints are being put at a bad angle due to alignment. Check the back of the motor where the shaft from the drive engages the coupler. Is there pieces of balck rubber? To check if the prop is the issue remove the prop look at the back side of the prop near the center of the hub you will see slivers of rubber peeling from the hub. Have you lost propulsion is the engine revving and not moving forward?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will start with the propeller and go from there.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.